Thursday, June 9, 2011

Of Bee's and Bike's

About 30 years ago, I was on a bicycle ride I will never forget.
I was riding a Raleigh Surperbe 5 Speed as my go everwhere bike. Heading home, at the at the end of the day and a long ride. at the top of the last hill, I could see below the dirt turn around at Beans field. The air was filled with what looked like dust. I figured it was caused by a truck or car that had just left at speed.
Ready to hold my breath and close my eyes and ride through, I reached that part of the road, and became covered with bees.
Every inch of my body had at least one very confused little fuzzy guy, now coming with me for the ride.
Not a big fan of bee stings, I without thinking sat up and sweeping with both hands, managed to rid myself of the unwanted passengers. The good News, I never got stung once.
I could not stop telling the story to everyone with an ear. What I later found out was that I had rode through a Swarm. I was also told that swarming bees don't usually sting. Their mission in life is to move the hive and follow the new Queen.
As time went by, I never came across a Swarm. I did how ever pick up a bee in flight and get stung.
Here is what I have learned over time: Although we have been taught that bees can only sting once, they can bite more. Sometimes its not a bee at all, but a wasp. Be on the lookout.
Those guys with the big DPW roadside mowers can mow through a hive just as easy as grass, so watch for bees while passing.
If you get stung, stop. Make sure the wasp or bee is not still with you. If they are still in your clothing, you will get stung again.
Find the sting and with your finger nail scratch out anything left by the bee. Stinger and any poison they have as defense. The sooner you do this the better.
Getting stung is not fun. Bees do play a major role in our life but to scare them to the point that they need to sting you can be sometimes be avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page

Free Blog Counter