Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Recumbent Rider, Part 3, Dave C

Dave an I have been riding together for about eight years now. I met Doug through Dave and together we have done a good amount of evening adventures. It seems as if when we are together we laugh more then usual. Always a good time.
Here is how Dave C answered the questions:

Q: What first attracted you to Recumbents and when did you first see one?

A: I moved close enough to my work to be able to ride my bike. About 10 miles.
I road an upright for 2 days, and I was so sore (and not my leg muscles, if you
know what I mean) that I knew I would not continue. I had heard about WheelWorks,
and that they sold recumbent bikes there. I had an R40 shortly thereafter.

I think the first bent I saw was on Nantucket, about 1994.

Q: How long did it take you after you first wanted one to own one?

A: I always had an interest, but from the time I knew where to actually buy one
to the time I had one was a matter of weeks.

Q: How long did it take for you to feel comfortable and safe riding on the street?

A: Good question! I was riding around on my local streets pretty much immediately.
It only takes 30 seconds to learn to ride one if you have a good teacher. (SRC!)
But, I rode on my local streets for about a week before commuting to work.

Q: What are you riding for a Recumbent these days?

A: I have two bents: My original R40 which I use in the cold 1/2 of the year, and
a Bachetta Strada I use the rest of the time.

Q: What kind of riding do you find yourself doing most? Touring, commuting, group rides?

A: These days I use my bikes to run errands around town, and to do longer rides of 40-50
miles several times a week -- usually riding into Boston for one reason or another.

Q: What are your favorite things about riding a Recumbent?

A: I am comfortable and can ride all day with no soreness at all.
I do rides of 4-5 hours or more on a regular basis, and my aging body feels
fine!

Q: How do you find the Recumbent riders as people? Do you notice any differences to other friends and riders of uprights?

A: I think bent riders tend to be more open minded, and don't worry about what other people think.
I know riders who ride uprights, and are in pain doing so, but refuse to even try a bent because
they think people will think they are weird. Sad really.

Q: What are your other favorite hobbies?

A: Learning to cook, wood working, dabble in music composition.

Q: Do you see any difference in the ride compared to an upright style bicycle?

A: Yes, definitely. My precious butt is 100% more comfortable, along with the rest of
my body. This is important -- as we age, our body parts can wear out, you need to
take care of them. I have a friend who is over 70 and still riding his bent long miles.

The only thing I tell people who ask, and many do ask... is that the big difference for
me is riding up hills. You can not stand up on the pedals, so you just have to grind it out.
I have dealt with this by using a reliable gear system (Rohloff) and just riding a lot.
You learn to deal with hills in one way or the other.

Q: Do you find hill climbing a much bigger problem then an upright style of bicycle, if at all?

A: See previous.

Q: Do you feel more invisible on your Recumbent then you do on an upright bicycle?

A: No, not in the least. I am much more visible. This old perception was created
by people riding low-rider bents. Really not a problem at all.

Q: Would you take your Recumbent everywhere you would ride an upright?

A: Yup!

Q: What's the longest ride you have ever done in a day on your Recumbent?

A: Not sure... over 100 miles.

Q: Would you recommend a Recumbent bicycle to a friend?

A: I would and I have!

Q: What do your friends and family think about you riding a Recumbent?

A: They think it is great!

Q: Do you listen to music while riding a Recumbent and do you feel safer with this style of bicycle doing so?

A: I used to listen to music, but don't any more.

Q:: How has the Recumbent changed your life?

A: It has changed it a great deal! I love riding, and it is a big part of my life.
I love not being tied down in a car, and all the people I have met because I
was riding. Doing so much riding has given me a healthy looking set of legs
too!

Thanks Dave! SRC

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Locations of visitors to this page

Free Blog Counter